Saturday 1 November 2014

Dressing up Disney Style;) with a modified Vogue 1314


       Never too old to dress up, especially if there's a Disney theme involved;) The Little Mermaid is, hand's down, my *favourite* Disney movie ever!! I loved it as a kid. I thought Ariel was so beautiful & I was fascinated with the idea of mermaids. So cool! I actually wanted to make a mermaid costume last year but found out that I was pregnant, so that costume went on hold till this year;) Dan was such a sport to dress up as Eric, my prince charming;) The only part of his costume I made was the red sash (a red rectangle of fabric with 1/4 inch elastic sewn along the sides to gather and seam up the back.





     I just winged it for the most part. Well, I had *some* idea beforehand but, I mostly made it up as I went. I really liked Kim Kardashian's mermaid costume a couple years ago. I just happened to notice a photo in our local paper and thus, inspiration struck;) I used my old standby pattern, Vogue 1314, to create a ruched "tail", cutting it just at the underarms of the pattern and adding a gathered rectangle of light blue fabric for the "fin".


 

     Here I have the lining and the tail fabric, right sides together, and used an overlock stitch to sew them together.





       Fabric turned right-side-out and pressed. I used a double needle to sew around the top to make sure the lining wasn't going to roll out. I attached the main fabric and lining on the inside, as the original Vogue pattern instructs. I left the lining hang free at the bottom, and didn't bother hemming, as it was a knit (and a costume). I attached the fin to the main fabric only:)



      I purchased this gorgeous sparkly turquoise "tail" spandex at Atlantic Fabrics. It feels very good quality. The "fin" fabric, however, I believe is just a novelty fabric & it was very difficult to work with. I had to create a casing for elastic to gather it, as basting stitches was impossible with the skipped stitches galore!:p The fabric runs easily too & has poor recovery. I was pretty much just drawn to the colour, but I suppose as it was for the fin, I didn't feel the need to inspect it as I did the tail fabric.


Looks like Pacman;)



     For the seashells, I made a pattern by tracing a shell shape (with a dart in the proper position;) on muslin fabric (directly on my body) and "truing it" as best I could & transferred it onto paper. I used a purple spandex that had a matte side and a shimmery side (was marked down due to defect on the shimmery side).



  I used a layer of fleece, left over from Isaac's Flounder costume, to "pad out" the shells slightly:) This is the back. I used the less flashy matte side to show, and simply marked freehand where I thought the lines should have been and stitched over them. Not shown, but you can see more detail in the photo below. I overlapped the shells slightly when I attached them to my costume. I added a strap because, well, strapless wouldn't do!:) I thought halter style would be nice:)




My self-sparkled wedding shoes:)


        If you're familiar with The Little Mermaid,  you'll recall the scene where Ariel comes out of the water in a sparkly purple dress. I thought these shoes would be perfect :) Nice to wear my wedding shoes again!
 




   Til next year! Thanks for reading:)

7 comments:

  1. Words cannot express how much I love this!! The Little Mermaid is my favorite, too. I haven't been able to convince my husband to join in a family group costume...yet! Maybe next year when my daughter is 3, she might actually care about Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Dan is so great to go along with whatever costume theme I have in mind. I hope your husband caves next year! Your daughter will probably help matters, what 3 year old doesn't get excited about dressing up?:)

      Delete
  2. Lovely costumes. Love that the whole family has joined in with the same theme. You must have had fun putting all these together. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie!:) Yes, it was a lot of fun. I'd love to have a family theme every year, or at least dress up when we take out Isaac to collect candy;)

      Delete
  3. I love it! You can tell Dan he is lucky to be Prince Eric. My cousin's three-year-old went as Ariel, but he went as a giant version of Sebastian:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I can just picture it! That's hilarious:) I had debated dressing up Isaac as Sabastian, but Flounder is cuter;) Your cousin sounds like a good sport!:)

      Delete
  4. افضل شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
    شركة الصفرات معروفة بتميزها في خدمات التنظيف
    شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الفلل بالرياض

    ReplyDelete