Wednesday 29 July 2015

McCalls 5400, Retro-Inspired Swimwear:)



"Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints."

Jude 1:3





   Hello all!:) Sewing has taken somewhat of a backseat the past couple of months since we've been busy with packing/moving/unpacking. Thankfully, we're finally settled in and I'm now able to resume making stuff!

      My lovely sister, Rachel, requested a modest, yet stylish,  swimsuit some time ago, so that was first on my list! I made a modified view of McCalls 5400. She lives a few hours away, so I made a wearable muslin with this pretty floral nylon/lycra I've had in my stash for sometime now. She said the suit fit "like a glove", which I was happy to hear since I only had measurements to go by! I've since made her a lilac version, which I will write about once I get photos!:)

Reviewed on PatternReview.com here.







    This suit, made by Rey Swimwear, was the inspiration suit Rachel sent me that she liked. I used it as a guide, taking the more prominent features that I thought Rachel would want. Such being: thick halter straps that tied behind the neck, gathered bust & circle skirt.







 


     This white suit is view E of McCalls 5400. I used the top for my version, modifying the pattern pieces to add a circle skirt and cutting the strap pieces as wide as the middle tie piece to make them a bit thicker.

 



     

  I left the circle skirt un-hemmed. I inserted bra cups for a little added oomph!;) The pattern doesn't include instructions to add them, so I just did my own thing, pretty much just tacking them in.

      I wish I had used a thinner lining fabric, as mine caused a bit too much bulkiness and was hard to topstitch in areas. Oh well! Turned out fine I think!

       

           
   















  Modest, yet stylish! Who says it has to be "itsy bitsy"?;) Til next time sewing friends! Hopefully I'll have another post soon!:) I trust everyone is enjoying their summer! xo
 

 
































     





 

5 comments:

  1. Looks great Rikki! I love seeing your creations, they're all so wonderful! (sorry if this posts more than once...having technology issues)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so! I appreciate the compliment:)

      Delete
  2. Love the dress and looks great on you...

    __________________________
    Scarlett Johansson HD Wallpaper 2015

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. Emphasie on Melange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas, i was looking for such article for many days...
    ___________
    tattoo thoughts

    ReplyDelete