Monday 6 November 2017

Peacock Print Faux Wrap, McCalls Hack #2

"Jesus answered, "I Am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father, except through Me."     

-John 14:6

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it." 

"Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them."

Matthew 7:13-16














     

            Good morning my lovely friends, I hope you all had a great weekend! I'm a bit behind schedule on this post, lol. I wore this dress to church last week and have been meaning to get a post up. Ah well, here it is! As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a few photos to show how I hacked this McCalls 6886 pattern to be a faux wrap.  The skirt was pretty easy but it took a few attempts to get the bodice crossover right (still not perfect, but pretty good I think!). I wore my dress with my me-made Obi belt but I still have enough of this peacock print fabric to make a self-fabric belt if I decide to in the future.










Here on my first attempt, I traced the entire front piece of the scoop front version of McCalls 6886 (adding 1/2" seam allowance at the waist). This was definitely *too low*, lol, so I had to cut a new front crossover. I re-taped the front pattern piece together and drew a new crossover line using my curved ruler (not sure why I have the second dashed line about the seam allowance line on the left side??). The crossover line is drawn so that it would come underneath the bust.






       Sorry the bottom photo is so fuzzy! This was my second attempt at the crossover front. I had to gather the sides so that the crossover would come below my bust (was a little too high). I gathered a small area but I probably should have gathered the whole area between the seam allowances. I lined the skirt in this version since the fabric was a bit too transparent!











     Above is the 3rd attempt at the crossover piece and the skirt, to which I also added 1/2" seam allowance. I also curved the waist slightly (I just laid the skirt of McCalls 7465 over top, and which has a curved waist seam, and traced that waistline). Both versions use the same skirt pattern piece.





     I cut a neck band for both dresses (2" wide and cut 15% less the neck circumference). Next time I think I'll try cutting it 10% less. On my first version I faced the neckline, on this one I left the band up (ended up being too low cut after I graded the upper body down a size and adjusted the crossover at the under-bust. I also tacked the crossover to ensure I stayed modest, lol. Its especially helpful when carrying my toddler, I don't have to worry about readjusting my clothes (and I don't like wearing cami's underneath).





First version blogged here.


   I hope all this info isn't too confusing, lol. I think I prefer how I did my first version better (or maybe something in between). Next time I'll probably just:

1- Cut a neck facing piece 10% less the circumference instead of 15%.

2- Gather the side crossover piece over the whole side above the waist seam allowance (after I face and topstitch the neckline).

 
Side by side comparison of my two versions:)


    Well thats all for today. I put my Heather Dress aside for the time being. I admit I'm not as enthused about it as I thought I'd be. Its a bit roomy in the waist, so I'll have to take it in some. I sewed a quick baby blanket for a friend yesterday, and will be working on matching Ollie Bomber Jackets for my boys over this week I think! If those turn out alright I think I'll make a couple more for gifts this Christmas! There's nothing more stressful than trying to sew last minute Christmas gifts in December, lol!:p Anybody else planning to sew some Christmas gifts? Have you started yet?:)

Til next time my friends! God bless, xo.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your bomber jackets for the boys--that sounds like such a fun project! I'll make pjs for the kids after our annual Black Friday run to JoAnns for flannel (my oldest and I get up at 5 to be first at the cut table then we go out for breakfast after), and I just cut a hooded jacket for my oldest yesterday.

    I love the peacock print! It's so pretty with the obi belt. Good work on the crossover. It's so tricky finding the right spot where the crossover is modest and yet it doesn't lose the style, and I'm with you. If a dress has to be rescued with a cami, it's not one that's going to get worn! I have a Burdastyle pattern in my stash that's a wrap style, but it's for winter, so it actually crosses over really high with a pretty collar. I'm curious to see if it actually fits without worry; I love wraps, but they've always been my fitting nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Our FB group challenge is giving me an extra push to finally get something made for my boys (besides blankets, lol). I know what you mean about wraps & fitting which is a big reason why I hacked this mccalls pattern. I don't like a too plunging neckline, especially since I'd like to wear wrap dresses to church. Ooo, I'm interested to see a winter wrap dress with a high collar! And everything else you crank out this month!;)

      Delete